Knobby's Ibis RS3

Show us your ride in here

Knobby's Ibis RS3

Postby Knobby » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 pm

(Nicked off another forum..)

Better give you some history/background first...
When I passed my test at 17 wasn’t really into Golf’s, my mate had a Mk2 1.4 3 door which I thought was slow, big and heavy. I was into smaller cars back then like Nova’s and clio’s. After a number of cars and bikes and trading a car in on a GSXR1000 one summer I released I needed a cheap run around as bikes were not so practical in bad weather, and taking out girls etc .

Looked on the Autotrader for cheap car, I mean really cheap like sub £500 cheap car however I still wanted something that was a bit of fun and not to embarrassing. In the bargain section was a 1985 VW Golf Mk2 3dr GTI 8v, it had 130k on the clock and looked a little tatty but had a few months MOT and Tax left for £150 quid, I thought perfect. Jumped on the phone to the guy and he said he just used it to take stuff to the dump but didn’t really use it much anymore and that it was taking up space, I confirmed the price with the guy and he said to be honest I just want it gone, give me £75 quid for it and its yours. So straight away shot over with a mate and picked it up, it was a little tatty but after a good clean and a polish it looked like new, to my surprise the car had a TSR lump in it so it went really well too. Some alloy wheels and lowering springs later and I was hooked! I was officially a VDubber….

The Day I picked it up...

After a good polish..

Some wheels and a big bumper kit later she was done...

I sold it about 6-8 months later for £485 without the alloys.. I then decided i wanted something a little newer so went for a Mk3 GTI 16v, kept this one again for about 6 months, was no where near as much fun as the Mk2 even though it was faster..

Decided to buy another Mk2 as I thought they were great fun for the money. Again i was on a budget and didnt want to spend a fortune.. So jumped on the forums and found another very cheap Mk2.. It had no MOT and needed alot of work

The day I got it home.. It was a mess but it had potential

After a good clear..

Managed to get a cheap set of wheels off ebay that needed a refurb, and got myself some coilovers and this was the result.. I loved this car, it had such a presence on the road cos it looked so low and wide..

After now being a proper dubber and been to a couple of shows i decided i wanted a Mk2 Golf Rallye... I took about 6 months to find one. and again found one that had real potential but needed a bit of work.. but it had the added bonus of being a RHD.. :) The R32 really reminds me of the Rallye, recon the R32 is a moden day version of it.. Both of them are not the fastest of hatch backs but there is a certain something that makes you love them!

Kept the Rallye for about 2 months.. LOL.. I did love it but someone offered me silly money for it so I had no choice but to sell it..

Next was a nice J plate Mk2 again.. Not much to say about this one.. It was just a very nice Mk2 in great condition, i needed another cheap car while i saved for my first property..

Kept it until some silly bitch hit me up the arse.. The insurance company wrote it off as they cos the repair was more than 75% of the value of the car.

I then brought an S3... Kept this for about 6 months.. Was good fun but it wasnt a VW..

Then decided i needed to buy a house, so again sold the S3 to buy another cheaper car, and cheaper to run.. I got a great deal on a Mk4 TDI, with full leather and a 3 door.. I fitted Anni wheels to it.

Then some AP coilovers, which totally spoilt the ride so i sold it..

Next.... for me was an R32... One of my work mates had one when they first came out, went out in it loads and loved it..

Took a few months to find look at a few, and find a good one. Decided i wanted to spend about 10-12k. I went to see a few but non were in the condition i wanted. Then one put up with loads more miles than i really wanted but the guy said it was in fantastic condition, so i decided to go look at it..

It was in great condition, had a few miles but was a bargain so brought it.. :)

The day I picked it up....

With some aftermarket wheels..

The car at my sisters wedding with the new wheels and the newly fitted cupra splitter..

The end of the summer came and the wheels came off and into storage..

Totally out of the blue the company I work for decided to pay me a car allowance so the Mk4 went up for sale to make room for a new car..

First choice on my list was a E46 M3, I have always wanted one..

After viewing the above M3 I was really disappointed at how dated it looked for a 18k car, yes the drive was amazing and it was super fast but it just didn't give me that wow, flash feeling..

Next on the list was a 911, I've always wanted one, I just didn't realise how close I was to being able to afford one.. I went to view a car similar to the one below (the one before was top of my first but just didnt get a chance to view), fantastic car, looked great, sounded great, seats too small :(

What next? What other options did I have? Mk5 R32 was an option? The Mk4 was always the best looking for me and was always the classic R32, however I thought it was worth considering so I went to see the one below.

Drove through the gates and there is sat looking stunning, out for a test drive, wow, different car to the Mk4, felt much more refined and more modern. The looks and drive gave me the WOW factor, Deposit put down, car SOLD!

I picked it up a week later..

ImageImageImageImage

I had to sell the MK5 R32 DSG..

The main thing was the recession and a decline in business which meant the R32 couldn't stick around so I had to sell up and buy a cheaper car.. Having to sell my pride and joy golf I didn't want to buy another Golf as I thought this was rubbing salt in the wound. So I thought a BMW would be a good idea and went for a BMW 320CD M Sport, picture below.

Was a great car, no getting away from that. It went well for a 2.0L diesel and returned really good MPG but it just felt too clinical and didn't seem to have much character.

I came to the conclusion that I didn't need an expensive car to travel back and fourth to work in and that i'd get something cheaper to get to work with view of getting the misses something nicer in the near future.

Still wasn't keen on getting another Golf but wanted to get back in a VAG I decided to get a Seat Leon TDI. The Leon TDI FR+ was a perfect option for me was good value for the year and mileage and came with a body kit, big wheels, and a 150 PD engine.
So I purchased the following...

With getting the Leon and me enjoying some cheap motoring for a few months I decided to get on the case with trying to find another R32 to replace the misses Freelander. I really wanted a Mk4 again and to find a real low mileage example. After viewing a couple with the misses she expressed she would prefer a Mk5 as they were a newer/modern car. I had to increase my budget so had to delay the purchase until I saved some more money.

After months of searching and finally managing to convince the misses the R32 was a good idea and I'd saved enough for a decent Mk5. I was looking at 2005/2006 cars with 40-60k on the clock, I didn't want another DSG this time round. A few reasons why, the misses doesn't like autos, I didn't want the worry of it going wrong and the main one without denying the fact the DSG is a brilliant gearbox I just didn't want an another one as I thought the R32 lost a little character with the DSG.

I ended up finding a 2006 car with 17500 miles on the clock for great money. Its a manual in very good condition.. Fingers crossed this one will stick around...

We only picked it up yesterday. I'll post some more pictures as soon as the weather gets better.

My VAG family... Don't they look happy together..

TO BE CONTINUED....
Knobby
Site Owner

Re: Knobby's Ibis RS3

Postby RYes3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am

Beautiful! Truth be told, you are responsible for me trading in my brand new S3 only 5 months after purchase..... that video just did it for me :)
2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass
RYes3

Postby Knobby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am

Oops :(

Sorry about that, hope I didn't cost you much money.

Was your Rs3 brand spanking new?
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby Macdaddy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 am

Whats the level of the tints on the back?

I need mine booked in but not sure if i'd get away with that dark on a Missano.
Macdaddy
Site Admin

Postby Knobby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Not sure mate, came as standard. How can I tell?
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby RYes3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Knobby wrote:Oops :(

Sorry about that, hope I didn't cost you much money.

Was your Rs3 brand spanking new?

Lol, it's only money and you only live once :)

Yes brand new :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass
RYes3

Postby Knobby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Onto the RS3..

TO BE CONTINUED...

Video from : youtube.com
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby Knobby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Gave it a good clean today and then went shopping.. Took some super quick pictures in the car pack..

Knobby
Site Owner

Postby RS3Simon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Love the mk2s I grew up on them. The rallye looks awesome.
2012 RS3 in Exclusive Designo Mysticbleu Perleffekt
RS3Simon

Postby Knobby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

The Rallye is where my love for 4WD drive cars came from.. Plus the charger noise. I prefer a charger, but turbo's I guess are more efficient/powerful..
Knobby
Site Owner

Next

Return to Members rides