My new Daytona Grey RS3

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.

My new Daytona Grey RS3

Postby JonnyG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm

I picked up my brand new RS3 on Tuesday 11th Sept from Leeds Audi, which will replace my much loved R. Hats off to Paul & Leeds Audi ... fantastic customer service and they bent over backwards to clinch a deal.

I previously had a 2010 Golf R DSG and was looking to replace it with another Golf R. However when looking at finance, the monthly payments on the RS3 were very similar and I was hooked on the RS3's engine and 7 speed S-tronic. The car is basic spec but I'm well happy with it as it is.

First impressions and a comparison with the R follow (written from a Golf background - I've had 4 Golfs over the last 6 years - GTi, ED30, R32 and R :) )

Firstly the engine :twisted: the biggest pulling factor for me and I'm certainly not disappointed. Anyone missing the sound of the R32's V6, but wanting more power than that old 3.2 unit, will not be disapponted with the RS3's 2.5TFSI. Lots of low down grunt and a fantastic tingly warble from about 3500rp upwards.

7-speed S-tronic - Another pulling factor me was this 7-speed box .. I love DSG and, and as I do a fair bit of motorway driving, the 7th gear is great for a quieter, relaxed cruise with excellent mpg. When an overtake blast is required, just drop a couple gears on the paddles and whoosh .... O0 In manual mode the S-tronic does not auto change up at the red line (not tested by me yet as running in still) and neither does it kickdown.

So those are the best bits and where the RS3 excels IMHO compared to the R.

Now the rest :-

Handling / Cornering / Ride - The RS3 has a similar feel to the R on high speed bends, lots of grip and traction. On tighter corners though I have to say I prefer the Golf R so far. The RS3 doe'snt feel as "chuckable" as the R. Perhaps I hav'nt really got to grips with the RS3 yet but when negotiating tight roundabouts near where I live the RS3 does not "flow" from left-right-left as well as the R. Probably due to the additional up front weight.

The ride in the RS3 feels firm and taut and very similar to my R (which had 19"s and standard spec suspension). Over sharper irregularities the RS3 feels to cushion the blow more than the R, as if there was more rubber thickness (although there is'nt any - it is the same 235/35/19 profile on fronts ;D). The tyres on the RS3 are Contisport 5p's.

Running Costs - The RS3 is looking remarkably similar to the R here :)

- Insurance is the same (only £280 for me and the wife with Privilege).
- Tax is £255 a year.
- MPG is looking to be similar (due to 7th gear on motoway cruise) but I'm expecting slightly lower long term.
- Finance monthy payments are actually the same as the R despite £7k additional on finance).
- No servicing pack unfortunatley but I have taken out a 4th year Audi warranty on the RS3 (for £245 extra).
- Also the RS3 comes with 3 years Audi breakdown cover as standard.

Interior / Spec etc

A mixed bag here in comparison with the R IMHO. I have a basic spec RS3 which comes with the following as standard :-

The good :)

- Leather Heated Seats with RS3 logo (very nice too IMHO) but no lumbar adjustment.
- Sat Nav (RNS-E) and Audi entertainment system (MP3 on SD cards) and reasonable I-Phone handsfree setup.
- Reversing sensors

The not so good 8-|

- The RNS-E is a bit dated and is not touch screen >:(
- The interior while being good quality is not as up to date as the Golf and not as user friendly IMHO.
- The computer controls are fiddly to use (on windscreen wiper stalk)
- A lot of black plastic on the doors
- No space saver spare wheel - only a puncture repair spray & seal kit >:(

In conclusion I'd say the ideal car would be the R with the RS3's engine and S-tronic box ... I'd jump at the chance for such a machine. In the meantime I'm very happy with the RS3 and will enjoy that engine for quite a few years hopefully.

Here are lots of pics after 1st wash :

Last edited by JonnyG on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012.
JonnyG

Re: My new Daytona Grey RS3

Postby Knobby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Great review...

Such am amazing colour.. How many miles she done now?

Pictures are displaying correctly now. :)
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby JonnyG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks ... only done 480 miles so far

I had a good blast to Leicester and back during the 1st weekend (from Leeds), but not much since, just my daily commute :roll:

Can't wait for some more good driver miles :twisted:
JonnyG

Postby Knobby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Sounds like it doesn't really unleash all its power until a few thousand miles too. So keep on adding those miles.

Have you considered running the 8.5" wheels with 255 wide tyres upfront? Another member is about to pick up his new RS3 with them. Not sure how much difference it makes to the handling.. Also have you seen this you tube video, he is running H&R lowering springs, it seems to really handle well on the track.

Video from : youtube.com
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby vito » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 am

Hi JohnnyG
it is very interesting the post where you are comparing the R with the RS3.
I am waiting for my RS3 to arrive, but I almost purchesed a Golf R before I decided to go for the Audi.
At the moment I have a Revo stage1 mk5 GTi and when I went to VW to try the R they didn`t have one and could`t find one anywhere for me to test drive, so I had a go in a GTi ed35, just to get an idea of how the R would look inside and to test the DSG as I had never used it before, but as soon as I jumped in the car even though I love the outside looks of it I was disappointed by the cabin, it put me off straight away, :o , apart from the nice lit instruments behind the wheel I didn`t like the rest, especially the center console starting from the top where the radio is down to where the DSG stick is, I really hated it, I felt like I very much prefer the mk5 in that area, I didn`t get that buzz...about the car, so I decided against it. I also sat in a Scirocco R line in the showroom and I thought : " Yeesss this is how the Golf should look like inside " .
You said that you have owed the GTi, Ed.30 and R32, I would like to know your thoughts about these mk5`s cabins and the R cabin. Was I right or wrong ?? What do you think ?? But one thing I know and that is that I will not regret choosing to go for the RS3 instead.
Thanks pal ,enjoy the animal.
vito

Postby Knobby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:09 am

The main thing I picked up from Jonnys review was the R handled better. Don't forget the R is over 200kgs lighter than the RS and the 8P chassis is a fair bit older than the MK6 golf chassis. I think you should also consider that in the RS3 you will be entering into the corner at a greater speed because of those massive brakes (when you get it, the brakes will be on your amazed at list), and coming out of the corner much faster because of the extra power.

I had a MK6 GTD I thought the interior was quite nice in that, I preferred the mk6 wheel over the mk5 r32, but even the mk4 r32 wheel was nicer than the mk5s. I was never a fan of the mixer head unit/heater control display.

The R I test drive had buckets and I wouldn't have purchased one without, really made the interior look the part. I jumped in it thinking it would be an R32 killer and it really wasn't, to me it didn't feel much faster at all. That's just one of the reasons why I went for the RS, so its faster, interior better as a standard car (although I miss the mk6 felt lined pockets), and it just felt that extra bit special. I looked for an R for over 6 months where as from the time I considered and RS to the time I was sat in my own RS3 was less than 10 days, I was sold on it! And still love it today, you won't regret it!
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby JonnyG » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Having now had the RS3 for 2 months and 1000 miles I can honestly say the following in comparison with the Golf R. All IMHO and I have no reason to be biased one way or the other.

1. I much prefer the RS3's engine and 7-speed S-tronic box (I did have a DSG R) - it sounds so much better than the R's 4-pot and the 7th gear helps a lot on the motorway with refinement and fuel consumption.

2. I have been amazed at the running costs of the RS3 - it hardly costs any more to run than the R (Insurance, Tax and MPG are all very very similar).

3. Performance wise I much prefer the RS3 - not just the power increase, but the way it delivers it from low revs. The R really only gets going after 3000rpm.

3. Interior wise I actully prefer the Golf R. The RS3 interior, while good quality, looks and feels dated to me. Examples :- The Sat Nav is not touch screen (what a pain that is) ; There is no rain sensor on intermiitent wipe; the rear view mirror does not auto dim in darkness; there are no MFD controls on the steering wheel; there is a lot of black plastic on the RS3 doors. In comparison the R has all of these and just feels ergonomically beter designed for the driver - everything felt in the right place.

4. Handling wise I also prefer the Golf R, it has much less understeer and can be hustled a lot quicker and easier through tight bends. I'd like to try the wider front tyres on the RS3 - not sure if you need the wider wheels for this (I know the Audi option comes with an extra 0.5J wheels)

I don't regret buying the RS3 at all though , I love it to bits despite the above. it suits me perfectly and I always jump in with a smile on my face :D
JonnyG

Postby Knobby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Have you thought about changing the tyres? Not sure about the conti's..,
Knobby
Site Owner

Postby P_G » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:05 pm

The max. width tyres you can have on 8J is 245, you would need 8.5J rims for 255 tyres. But like Knobby said, better tyres (Goodyear, Michelin, Vredestein) and H&R sway bars would help a lot and a good bit cheaper then finding yourself 8.5J wheels and new tyres.
P_G

Return to Welcome to RS3